The 8 Best Online Piano Lessons & Learning Apps 2020: Our Top Picks
Piano for All
Table of Contents
We are supported by our readers. When you buy through links on our site (at no extra cost to you), we may earn commissions from our partners. Learn more
So, you finally have decided to dust off that old piano and learn how to play it but don’t know where to start. You have come to the perfect place! We will guide you through the best lessons out there.
Note that there are plenty of online piano lessons on the internet that you can try, but only a few tops the charts.
Here are the top 8 best online piano lessons available today.
Compare Best Online Piano Lessons
✔ A curriculum that is created by the legendary Quincy Jones as well as renowned pianists like David Sides and Harry Connick Jr. for teachers.
✔ The most affordable course that comes with several books to help you through your study.
✔A huge song library with a great selection of songs in 20 genres.
✔ The most comprehensive and complete course online.
✔ A course with great visuals and a penchant to push students to perfection.
✔ Amazing customer service that allows students to request any song they want to be added to the library.
✔ Intelligent and helpful instructors as well as a nifty video response feature that works almost as well as one-on-one coaching.
✔ Great lessons in piano fundamentals and music theory plus provide exercises that are perfect for beginners.
8 Best Online Piano Lessons Reviews
1. Playground Sessions
If you are looking for a course with top-tier piano coaches, then Playground Sessions is the perfect one for you. This online piano lesson is created by Chris Vance and the legendary Quincy Jones. And that is not all! The video lessons included in this piano course are taught by renowned pianists David Sides and Harry Connick Jr.
Playground Sessions is one of the most popular online piano courses on the internet, and for good reason too! This course is one of the pioneers of incorporating game-like mechanics into learning–a technique used by most, if not all, online piano courses. It is also one of the few courses in collaboration with Yamaha Music.
Check out the playground sessions review to learn more.
- The course outline is created by Quincy Jones.
- Learn from prolific pianists like David Sides and Harry Connick Jr.
- Rhythm-game mechanics makes learning fun and motivating
- Great at encouraging students’ musicality
- Teaches lessons through songs
- Lessons are highly customizable
- Song library has a wide variety of genres
- Experience playing accompaniment to your favorite artists when playing songs with backing tracks.
- Shortage of video lessons
- Video lessons do not have a lot of visual aids
- Focus does not lie on theory and technique
- Songs in the library are not free
2. Piano For All
Are you on a budget but still want to learn how to play the piano? This course has got your back!
Piano For All is an online piano course specifically geared towards complete beginners. It has everything new piano players need and more. The lessons are very easy to understand and the exercises and quizzes are fun to do. This course, unlike most, is not subscription-based.
You can get the full course and all future updates for only $39. You also have the option to get the digital download as well as a physical copy of the course and all its exercises on DVD for $49! Additionally, both the digital and physical copy comes with workbooks to help you through your lessons.
Check the piano for all review to learn more.
- Goes straight into playing music
- Lots of focus on training the left hand
- Popular songs are used for lessons and exercises
- Great visual aids
- Helps students develop their skill in musicality
- Straightforward lessons are easy to understand
- Updates are continuous to this day
- Affordable price
- Available as a digital download on many platforms and as a physical copy
- Lacks technique and theory lessons
- Advanced learners will not get much out of this lesson
- Lacks lessons in reading music sheets
- Not the best course for people who want to be classical pianists
If you already have a piano coach but are looking for a great program to help expand your repertoire then Flowkey is the perfect app for you!
Flowkey does not have a lot to boast about when it comes to teaching technique and theory. However, Flowkey’s strength lies in its expansive and impressive library. This library that currently contains over 500 songs from 20 different genres is constantly updating. It adds new songs regularly ensuring that their students always have something new to play.
Would you like to learn how to play the piano at your next social gathering? Flowkey can teach you a few songs that will surely impress your friends and family! All you need to do is break out that keyboard or piano, select a beginner-level song, and start learning.
Check out the flowkey review to learn more.
- Have fun while playing songs
- Huge library of songs that are constantly updating
- 20 genres of songs in the library ensure everyone has something to play
- Allows you to play on your acoustic piano or electric keyboard
- Lifetime Access is expensive
- Lessons only cover the very basics. No lessons in techniques and theory
- Microphone connection tends to be a bit laggy
4. Piano Marvel
If you truly want to focus on becoming a professional pianist, Piano Marvel is the best overall online piano course out there. Not only does it crack down hard on technique and theory, but it also encourages you to get an actual coach. In fact, a lot of the lessons within this course work better with a coach.
The lessons in this online piano course will teach you the fundamentals of piano playing, music theory, techniques, and even improvisation. This online course has a monthly goals system that lets students set practice goals every month. Piano Marvel also has a trophy system that motivates and encourages students to keep earning study-related achievements.
The huge library contains mostly classical songs, but there are still songs in there from other genres, including rock, pop or others.
Check out the piano marvel review to learn more.
- Covers piano fundamentals to advanced theory and improvisation
- Fun exercises like flashcards and ear-training
- Customizable lessons, songs and exercises
- Affordable and great value for money
- Contains a unique sight-reading assessment tool
- Often involves the community in fun activities and contests
- Not a lot of visual aids so lessons tend to be plain and boring
- Some lessons assume you have a teacher which makes it hard for those who self-study
- Song library content is mostly classical music
- Requires an electric or MIDI keyboard
5. Simply Piano by JoyTunes
If you are a beginner and you are looking for something quick and easy to start you off, then you should check out Simply Piano.
Simply Piano by JoyTunes is a great piano app that you can easily find in your Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Upon opening this app, the first thing you will see is its attractive layout and user interface.
It teaches you basic piano lessons, such as finger numbers, hand positions and such before letting you choose between two tracks: Soloist and Chords. The track you choose will determine the lessons you will be going through in the next few weeks. Find yourself wanting to change tracks in the middle of it? No problem, you can easily switch tracks on the menu. Doing so will not remove the progress you have made on the other track.
Simply Piano also helps keep your skills and knowledge sharp by providing 5-minute exercises if you do not have time for a lesson.
Check out the simply piano by joytunes review to learn more.
- Demands perfection from students
- Provides lessons in piano fundamentals
- One of the most detailed beginner courses
- Has lessons in music theory AND history
- Provides you with the option to use either an acoustic piano or an electric or MIDI keyboard
- Works offline
- Considerate of time limitations
- Choose to play your songs in full or in sections
- Visually appealing
- Does not allow students to skip lessons
- Microphone connection has some issues with picking up notes
- No advanced lessons
If you are tired of bad customer service but still want to give online piano lessons a chance, then check out LearnPianoIn30Days.
Customer service is just one of the many strengths of this course. This course has a complete set of lessons that will help anyone who wants to learn the piano–from beginner to advanced. If you want to learn how to play in a specific style, this course has lots of extra lessons that teach you to do just that!
This course’s song library is already impressive. They have songs from every genre, new and old and all of them can be accessed for free! If you cannot find the song you like in their list, just post a message on their forum, and they will add it just for you!
Additionally, this course has tons of extra tools, exercises, and even games that you can use as you learn.
Check out the learn piano in 30 days review to learn more.
- Lessons are quick and easy to understand
- Great for all levels
- Lots of extra software, games and exercises included
- Great community
- Fantastic customer service
- Song library is constantly improving
- Website is not very visually appealing
- Not a lot of activity outside of the official forums
- No free trial
Need an online piano course that has amazing lessons in music theory and technique? Perhaps one that feels like a one-on-one session with a coach? If you answered yes to both, then ArtistWorks is the perfect online piano lesson for you.
This online course gets a lot of flack because of its payment system. However, anyone who has tried ArtistWorks is impressed with the lessons and the instructors teaching them. The instructors are not just qualified to teach piano, they are also very helpful and informative.
One amazing thing that is unique to this course is their video exchange learning. Upon signing up for ArtistWorks you will have the ability to record yourself playing the piano and send it to your teacher. In return, your teacher will send you back a complete review of your video and give you constructive feedback. Afterwards, your videos will be posted on the website, so other students may use it for reference. With that being said, you are also allowed to check out coaching sessions from other students.
The teachers in this course are so profound in their teaching style that every video is a mini-lesson in itself!
Check out the artist works review to learn more.
- The teachers are helpful and educational
- The site is easy to navigate
- Affordable prices
- You get to have three instructors to choose from
- The video exchange system makes up for not having a coach
- Active online presence
- Billing seems to be the weakest point of this online course
- Company customer service can be hard to reach
If you are looking for a beginner course that focuses on techniques and theories, then you should give Skoove a try.
Skoove is one of the most well-rounded courses for beginners. They have 19 courses and over 300 video lessons. These video lessons cover all the basics in piano as well as important theories and techniques that beginners will need as they make their progress in learning how to play. The lessons even take great care to ease students’ progress into intermediate lessons.
Another thing that Skoove is great at is providing songs that fit a students’ level perfectly. They modify harder songs to make it easier for those at a lower level to learn. Additionally, their music library is also filled with plenty of songs from different genres!
Check out the skoove review to learn more.
- Fair pricing
- Great course for beginners ages 12 and above
- Their website is visually pleasing and the user interface is easy to navigate
- Allows you to play using either an acoustic or grand piano or an electric or MIDI keyboard
- Includes a free trial so you can try before you buy
- Some students think the course progress is far too slow
- The mobile app is not as good as the web browser version
That concludes our top 8 list of the best piano lessons and the best piano learning apps you can find online! We hope you find the perfect course for you or at least a few courses to check out. If you are having troubles in deciding which one of these online piano courses are best suited for your needs, then you should stay a little longer. This next part is dedicated to helping you choose the right online piano course.
How To Choose The Best Online Piano Course For You
With so many options to pick from, it can get a little intimidating to choose an online piano course. So, here are a few tips that will help you find the perfect course:
1. Know Your Needs
Everyone has different needs when it comes to lessons. There are factors you have to consider before deciding which lessons would work for you. What you can do is to create a checklist of all the aspects you are looking for in an online piano course. Here are some things you might want to put on your list:
- Skill Level – Plenty of online courses are geared to teach beginners how to start playing the piano. If you are already an intermediate or advanced learner, the lessons would be useless.
- Lesson Duration – Are you on a time limit to learn? Perhaps you should try looking for lessons that can teach you how to play quickly.
- Course Outline – What are the things you want to learn? Do you want to be a classical pianist or do you just want to learn a couple of songs? The course outline determines the lessons you will go through.
- Teaching Style – Are you alright learning on your own or would you prefer a more guided way of learning? While there are courses that guide you throughout your whole learning experience, there are those that allow you to learn at your own pace. Consider which of the two is more effective for you.
If you think you have more to include in that list, jot them down along with the rest to ensure you won’t miss a thing.
2. Do Your Research
Which courses are the best for online piano lessons (e.g playground sessions vs piano marvel, flowkey vs playground sessions, flowkey vs simply piano by joytunes, etc.)? Which ones are not so great? How much will this course cost you? Are there additional fees you should know about?
As with most things, it is important to research before you commit to buy. Good thing, online piano lessons have dozens of review articles and feedback from customers online. They are informative and easy to find!
Through these articles, you can read about everything regarding the courses you find interesting such as:
- Course Curriculum
- Pros and Cons
- Extra Lessons and Tools
- Song Library Content
- Extra Charges
- Payment Plans
- Customer Feedback
Many customers regret buying something online after neglecting research. You can easily avoid this by reading a few online articles about your preferred course. They do all the research for you!
3. Check Your Time
It is also important to consider the time you have available before choosing an online piano course. If you have a time limit, you should probably look up the quickest online lessons. If you have a busy schedule then you should pick a course with shorter lessons.
These are only but a few aspects you should consider when selecting the perfect piano course. You do not want a monthly subscription to a great lesson and then realize later that you simply do not have the time for it.
4. Check Your Budget
Most online piano courses are subscription-based. Some of them provide customers with free trials so they can check out what the course has to offer. However, at the end of this free trial, you will have to decide whether or not to continue with the course or stop it completely.
It is important to choose a lesson that not only fits what you need but also fits your budget. It would be unfortunate if you had to stop your lessons because you cannot afford them any longer.
5. Get Your Tools Ready
While you can use online piano lessons with an acoustic piano, most of them prefer either an electric keyboard or a MIDI keyboard. It makes it easier to connect to the app and get instant feedback. A majority of students who use acoustic pianos find that they are often having troubles with their microphones. It seems that they often do not pick up the correct note.
If you plan to take the online courses seriously then you should invest in a MIDI keyboard. A 61-key MIDI keyboard (1) is enough for beginner lessons. However, the most ideal choice is an 88-key MIDI keyboard (2).
6. Get Your Mind Ready
Before you begin your lessons, you should psych yourself up and get ready!
Learning something new might not always be easy. The piano is a complicated instrument and studying can be a source of frustration. This is why it is important to prepare your mind for difficult times. You might feel like giving up but you must keep going.
Keep your goals in mind, remain realistic and be patient with your progress.
7. Committing to The Lessons
Once you begin your lessons, there are times when you will find that you feel far too lazy to continue or practice. There might even be moments of self-doubt. During these times especially, it is important to commit to your piano lessons. You do not want to remain stagnant and lose all the progress you have made so far.
Self-discipline and confidence will help you become the pianist you have always aspired to be!
8. Setting Realistic Goals
Often, we find ourselves impatient or even disappointed with our progress. This can cause us to resent the learning process or even pin the blame on the lesson. Believe it or not, the disappointment that comes from this can easily be avoided.
All you have to do is set realistic goals!
The easiest way to do this is to keep track of your progress. Observe your skill before taking the course and then make a point of checking your improvement every few lessons. All piano lessons have the same goal: to help you learn to play the piano. However, this does not happen overnight. Give yourself time to improve, notice the small changes and keep practicing!
9. Daily Practice
This is one of the most important aspects of becoming a better pianist. Playing the piano does not only rely on theory. It is also a physical skill! Physical skills only have one way to improve: tons and tons of practice!
It is important to find a great online course or even a supplementary course that gives you just that.
There are lots of ways for you to develop your skills. You can learn how to play songs, do exercises or even play piano-related games. Some online courses provide this for their students. All you need to do is look for them!
10. A Sense of Community
It is much easier to learn when you have people appreciating your efforts. It can be family and friends or even a forum of people online where you can post your progress. Validation is a great motivation and confidence booster!
Some courses actually provide you with a community like this. They have forums and live chats included in their programs. These forums can connect you with plenty of aspiring pianists all over the world. While live chats, on the other hand, can help you if you need questions answered. Sometimes, you can even talk directly with your virtual piano coach!
There you go! Our 8 best online piano lessons and best piano learning apps as well as a few tips on choosing the right one for you. Hopefully, we were able to help you find your perfect match when it comes to the best online piano lessons.
If you wish to give an awesome gift for yourself or to someone you know who is a piano or keyboard lover, I have listed 30 best gifts for piano & keyboard players in my other article. You may check it out!
- 1. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=61-key+midi+keyboard&rh=n%3A8882496011&ref=nb_sb_noss
- 3. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=88-key+midi+keyboard&rh=n%3A8882496011&ref=nb_sb_noss
Table of Contents
Share on facebook
Share on pinterest
Share on twitter
Share on email
Share on print